Google+ Followers

Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Time for Change


ComScore A Time for Change

(as submitted to the Cumberland Times-News on July 10, 2010)(not yet appearing in print.)

Why are we going to spend city money, or any money at all (tax money), for parking downtown? The intent for the downtown “mall” area is specifically what it has been used for. Farmer’s Markets, Entertainment, and other special events.
This is currently a safe non-traffic area. Will we have to look over our shoulders for a car while picking fresh fruit and vegetables at the Farmer’s Market?
The intersection at Baltimore Street and Mechanic Street is another example of waste. We do not need to waste money on repairing or replacing the traffic light system . Stop signs are proving to work better and are safer it appears, as many have shared through the newspaper. Please table the idea and focus on a real issue!
I recently read in the Times-News that there was consideration on shutting off some street lights to save some money. Has our financial situation changed that much? I will say with out a doubt a resounding. “ NO”!
Then there is the liquor board fiasco that makes Cumberland look like the laughing stock of the state!
I appreciate the resignation of Mr. Delaney. That was the wisest step towards healing. I appreciate and respect a man who stands up for what he believes in, and has the common sense to step aside when the time is right. Kudos! Let the healing begin. Please write a simple straight forward simple supportive letter to the organizers of Delfest asking for them to please stay here for future festivals. I pray DelFest will stay here, as it is an asset to our community that will grow and provide years of entertainment. I will apologize for this mess myself and do so here, while saying that this is not reflective in any way of the collective community here in Cumberland.
I pray this festival does not disappear like the festival that we use to have here at Rocky Gap.
Rocky Gap is another botched mess! We are now about to put the lodge on the chopping block!
We lost the land (city decommissioned the park and sold it) behind my home on James Day Drive. This is seemingly criminal! Let’s not lose more valuable assets.
I wrote a letter to the paper that was published a while ago about how to negotiate for a more reasonable garbage rate, thus saving money.
I am glad the election is upon us to elect new officials to lead us. I pray they have more long term vision then what has transpired in recent years.
I have now lived here ten years. I will run for Mayor one day soon, and my policy will be an, “open book” policy. I would address the public often at a local venue. The entire city would be welcome to meetings, as well as, have a voice. I would work as a team leader to support sensible projects i.e., community healing and growth, develop a free community center, support our incredible local artists (perhaps our most valuable asset to tourism next to geography and history), and demand less crime, to name only a very few!
Mayor Fiedler, thanks for you years of dedicated service and the legacy you have given to us all. Thanks for your vision to know when it is time to step away, but be on hand as a valuable asset to assist when needed as we venture into our collective future.
We are losing a fine man, as only a fine man can make a decision as he has. I would certainly be looking to you to be on my staff when I am elected to be the Mayor of Cumberland.
Sheriff Goad, I bid you a farewell into your retirement as well. You too suffered through some ridiculous political turmoil. Thanks for your perseverance and leadership.
Wow! Three incredible servants stepping away…
The writing is on the wall! Who will lead us through this terrible economic time? Who has vision and can work “well” with others?
The future is in our collective hands. It is time to vote for new leadership that has a collective vision. I do not see any collective vision in the current candidates. I see individuals that are running to displace those in office who they are not happy with. This is a possibly very dangerous and detrimental scenario to our city.
We need an open forum of the candidates that is similar to a debate. We need to hear more about issues like, future economic growth, street repairs, homelessness and poverty, long term planning, etc.
I suggest we organize an invite to the candidates and hold it at Canal Place and utilize our facilities to find out what these candidates have to say.
I pray that this letter will promote some positive feedback as I am so tired of seeing so much wasted time on personal agendas while we, the people, suffer!
If you are interested in helping organize this event with me, I can be reached at 240 345 5654 or you can write to me at 461 Waverly Terrace Cumberland, Maryland 21502.
The time for change has long passed, it is time for action!
John S. Swygert